Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Our First FIFTY Bags Delivered!!

Well yesterday was an amazing success! We delivered our first fifty bags two weeks ahead of our goal! Heather at Stormont-Vail Hospital in Topeka, KS (where we live) was so excited to receive the bags. She was like a kid in a candy shop when we showed her everything that was in the bags. We gave twenty to Stormont, ten girl and ten boy bags. She said she will let us know when they run low and hopefully that will give us enough time to restock all of our supplies and get some more bags out!


After we went to Stormont, we went to Children's Mercy, the hospital where MJ was at. This was pretty hard. We pulled up and again I started shaking and I could feel my anxiety going through the roof. But I knew that we were there for a good reason, so I calmed down a bit. We met one of the social workers in volunteer services and talked about the bags, they were also very excited to receive them. We talked about who would get them, being that they are a 65 bed NICU, they said it was going to be hard to determine who would get bags, as we only brought thirty bags to them. We determine that all CDH babies would get them, along with patients who would be there a month or longer. Hopefully we brought enough to sustain them for awhile. We are very happy with that, and it really felt great to deliver them. We then went up to the NICU and saw a few nurses that were MJ's. This was also hard, because it brought back so many memories, but I am glad that we did. The staff at Children's was just so amazing that I am glad that we are able to see them from time to time. They made such a huge impact on our life. They were amazed at how big Will was! We were able to bring Will into the NICU every day so they all got a bit attached to Will, as well. I don't think it's very often that they see a healthy baby, so I am sure it was a treat to them. Anyway, here a few pics of us getting ready and delivering them yesterday.

Us delivering the bags at Children's Mercy

My car loaded up with the bags!

Willie's way of loading up the car.

And my way - this is the wagon that was mine when I was a little girl and my Dad refurbished when I was pregnant with Will and MJ. It has a very special meaning to us!


One a side note, please, please pray for our friends who delivered their son, Xavier yesterday morning. He was born 14 weeks premature, and was transferred to Children's Mercy yesterday. They will be receiving the first gift bag that we donated to Children's Mercy!

1 comments:

Christmas with Kasey said...

So glad that you got your bags delivered! Going back to the hospital where our little ones were is hard, but I think its good to go back... you know what I mean. Thinking of your friends and their son!
Nicolle