Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Three Years Ago

I married the greatest man I will ever know. He has been my rock and my strength and I don't know how I could survive without him. I am so incredibly blessed to have such an amazing husband. No matter where I go or what I do, he is always beside me every step of the way. We have had many, many great times together. And we have also endured the worst possible thing to ever happen to someone when almost one year ago our son died.



I look at this picture above and I see two people madly in love with so much hope in their eyes and so much to look forward to. And I don't even know them anymore. We have been through so much we know the depths of heartache and loss, we've been through the worse and it's pretty hard to see the sunlight right now. We are jaded. Our hearts are broken, and the scar will always remain.

One year ago we still had that hope. One year ago both of our sons' were alive and MJ was having a great day. He had been transferred to Children's Mercy Hospital the day before and I was released from KU Med that day. We rushed right over to see MJ and were so happy when we realized that we could bring Will in to see his brother each and every day. This is one of the few complete family photos that we will ever have.
'

                                    

We have no clue what was ahead, and we were so happy to have our family of four together. You can see that MJ was starting to swell from all of the fluid that he was receiving via iv. Both Will and MJ were exactly six pounds each when they were born, but here is looks like MJ was an eight pound baby. He probably did weigh eight pounds, but he never should have that soon.

Things have been pretty hard for me as of late. I didn't think that they would. I thought the week before their birthday, and their birthday would be hard. But the feelings and emotions that I am having now are so much more intense and harder then I thought that they would be. I feel like I am in limbo and waiting for this crash to happen on August 29 (MJ's Angel Day), like I can't quite be happy, but I shouldn't be an emotional wreck just yet. But I am. I am an emotional wreck, and I don't know what I need or what I want. For example, last week a close friend was talking about how she knew SO many people with twins. And while she included me in that group, it felt so wrong and it hurt so much. You see, all of these twins she was talking about were living breathing, healthy babies. I will never know what its like to juggle two babies at the same time. I will never see my twins side by side. I will never get to laugh about their identical schedules or talk about the crazy bond that my twins have. The only time I held them together was the day that MJ died. I want to be included as a mother of twins, but I don't want to hear about twins. My emotions are so all over the place it's not even funny.

I have another friend that has a 16 month daughter and is due to give birth again in September. I was talking to her the other day and she told me how worried she is about how she will manage two babies. Um, hello? I would kill someone to have two babies. How do I even respond to that?

Sometimes I just feel like the people that I think should be sensitive and should know the right things to say or do are the ones that hurt the most. All I want is for MJ never to be forgotten and he was forgotten by people that have lost their babies and I never expected them to. And that hurts so very bad.

The people that I expect to forget MJ or the people that I expect to say hurtful things, don't necessarily hurt the worst. It's the unexpected that really just cuts me to the core.

And this time, these 35 days are so much harder then I ever thought they would be. I need some compassion, I need some sympathy, and I really just need someone to say, "What your feeling is okay, and normal, and it really, really sucks, and no matter what I love you." I need to know I am not crazy.

4 comments:

My life said...

Happy anniversary. I'm so sorry this is such a bitter sweet time for you. I am thinking of you and praying for peace.

Lori said...

I often feel like that...like I can't believe some of the things that the people I EXPECT to get it the most say...the other day, John's mom, whom I LOVE and know loves me, said, "Well, since if it was a girl, you'd have to paint, but since it's a boy, you don't have to."

Because I can just delete Matthew and insert a new baby brother, right?

I know she didn't mean that, but seriously...that's how it felt.

I try to remember that people give the best they can, but you are right...it gets sort of tiring having to be the one who realizes that most people mean well...instead of having to be the one who extends the grace when someone means well, but still hurts my feelings.
xoxo

Catherine W said...

I don't think you're crazy Megan and yes, it really, really sucks and I'm sorry. I wasn't expecting the girls' first birthday to hurt as much it did. It really knocked me for six.

All those little throw away remarks really hurt. I've also have people say how they worry about coping with two babies in front of me and it really stings. I would give anything to have my babies both here with me and to see them together again.

Thinking of you and your family over the coming weeks. xo

With Out My Punkin said...

Happy Anniversary. What you are feeling is normal. MJ will never be forgotten, he was a fighter and is always Will's twin. I wish that he was here and you had both of your twins in your arms. I felt like the lead up to their angel day was a lot harder than the day its self. I hope that the day is gentle on you.